Wexford CYPSC has supported the development of an “Emotionally Based School Avoidance” (EBSA) Resource Pack.
Pictured above : EBSA Steering Group at the EBSA Resource Pack launch, May 31st 2023 in the Riverside Park Hotel, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford.
This Resource Pack has been compiled by a group of professionals in collaboration with schools all of whom are concerned about the issue of Emotionally Based School Avoidance (EBSA) in Co. Wexford. When EBSA becomes entrenched, it can have negative impacts on children and young people (CYP) in terms of their mental health and wellbeing. It can also influence educational attainment and can limit future employment opportunities. The impact on families who are trying to support CYP to return to education can also be considerable. This pack was developed to provide information and practical tools on how to address EBSA. It is informed by the experience of professionals who work to support children, including pre-schoolers and young people and their families who have been impacted by EBSA.
Below you can download the individual sections of the EBSA Resource Pack:
- EBSA Resource Pack - Section 1 - Introduction (pages 15-18) (PDF 349 KB)
- EBSA Resource Pack - Section 2 - Background (pages 20-24) (PDF 367 KB)
- EBSA Resource Pack - Section 3 - Information for Parents (pages 26-31) (PDF 223 KB)
- EBSA Resource Pack - Section 4 - Frameworks for Working With EBSA (pages 32-34) (PDF 258 KB)
- EBSA Resource Pack - Section 5 - Information for Young People (pages 36-43) (PDF 352 KB)
- EBSA Resource Pack - Section 6 - Information for Schools (pages 44-63) [PDF 744 KB)
- EBSA Resource Pack - Section 7 - Supporting Autistic Children & Young People Experiencing EBSA (page 64-79) (PDF 596 KB)
- EBSA Resource Pack - Section 8 - External Professionals and Agencies (pages 80-87 (PDF 261 KB)
- EBSA Resource Pack - Section 9 - EBSA Stories from Children & Young People & Parents / Care Givers (pages 88-95) (PDF 408 KB)
- EBSA Resource Pack - Appendices & References (pages 97-120) (PDF 832 KB)
The information contained in this pack is supported by research and grounded in a theoretical framework. Click the link below to access the literature review.
This project is a collaboration between Wexford CYPSC, Barnardos, CAMHS, CFSN’s, FDYS, HSE, IPPN, NAPD, NEPS, SCP, TESS, WxCCC and YNR